Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Keys

Soon after I became a believer, I had a dream…
A warm, sweet breeze blew through my hair. Every breath was delicious, the way I felt we were always intended to breathe. I was standing atop a tall tower with arching windows on every wall. The walls were made of tiny stone, cemented together. Running my hands along the base of the window, the stones were smooth and an array of colors. I looked over the land. Turquoise, olive, hunter, every kind of green plant filled the world below this tower. Bright orange blossoms popped amongst the green.
Turning to look though a different window, I noticed the room was filled with fountains. Two-tiered, three, and four bubbled out water. I dipped my hand in: cool. At the base of the fountains I noticed piles and piles of skeleton keys. Strange, I thought. Just then, I noticed my name engraved on one of them. I picked it up and pulled it out of the water, it turned gold as soon as it was out of the flowing stream. I saw my mother’s name on another key, excited I pulled it out to. But as soon as it left the water it turned to ash, and was gone. Rushing, I found my brother’s name, pulled it out and it was ash. My fathers, ash.
I woke up sobbing.
On Sunday…
I was talking on the phone with my mom on the subway. She shared that last week she went to visit my grandma. They went to church where the VBS students sang the verse, Philippians 4:6-7 “6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. “
She said that she thought that God had written that verse for her and at just the right time she heard it. Dumbfounded, I said, “Oh yeah, Mom.”
She continued to share that she has had this emptiness in her, that she knows only the Lord could fill.
I asked, “Do you believe that God created you and that he has a plan and purpose for your life?”
“Yes” she responded.
“Do you believe that sin has separated us from God and because of that sin, God sent his son, Jesus Christ, to pay the debt of our sins through death? But now, in the resurrection of Christ, we have a bridge to God”?
“Yes.”
“Do you now know that you have eternal life in Christ, if you but ask God to come into your heart?” “But abundant life can begin now!!!”
“Uh..okay.”
I chuckled, I got really excited at the end and started getting a tad confusing. We spoke on what assurance of salvation is and that our response to God’s sacrifice is found in Revelation 3:20 “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”
She asked for prayer that she wouldn’t be anxious and that she would find a church.
A gold key.

No comments:

Post a Comment